Take a walk in the April sun
The bright, warm days of April are ideal for enjoying the outdoors and taking a stroll. Hilton Head Lakes offers miles of lighted, paved walking trails throughout the gated community, however you may want to explore some of the many miles of beaches throughout the Lowcountry before visitors plant their umbrellas in the sand.
April begins the official beach season on Hilton Head Island and other beaches throughout the region. The designation means some activities allowable during the cooler months are now off limits in reserved swimming areas, including fishing, surfcasting, surfboards, Frisbee and other team sports and games with metal components.
If you like to take your loyal, four-legged companion with you to the beach, you have a couple more weeks. Animals – even with a leash – are not allowed on most beaches from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day.
Various amenities are offered on the dozens of beaches within a quick drive from Hilton Head Lakes, with most offering public parking and some providing amenities such as playgrounds, grills, pavilions and public bathrooms. If sandy toes are not your thing, nearby wildlife refuge areas, nature trails and public parks abound.
Whichever path you decide to take, here are some first-aid tips for mishaps that may occur:
• Sunburn – Soak in cool water unless skin is broken or blistered. Ibuprofen may help.
• Bee Stings – Apply a baking soda paste and ice. If allergic, seek medical help.
• Jelly Fish Stings – Apply vinegar, sugar, salt or dry sand. After 20 min., rinse with salt water.
• Crab Bites – rinse well, disinfect, and apply antibiotic ointment. May need stitches.
• Tick Bites – DO NOT attempt to remove the tick. Cover with Vaseline or a film of oil. When insect is free, remove with tweezers. Look for flu-like symptoms for up to two weeks. If this occurs, seek immediate medical attention.
• Snake Bites – CALL 911. Use a compression dressing just above site, NOT a tourniquet.
• Oyster Shells – cuts and abrasions can result in serious infections. Medical treatment advised.
• Alligators – Do NOT go near alligators. They run very fast. Do NOT feed or tease!
• Sting Ray – rinse with water and apply heat to neutralize sting. Seek medical attention.
Source: Hilton Head Island beaches
Hilton Head Lakes is a debt-free community in South Carolina, and one of the best places to retire. It’s the perfect balance between gated community and world-class resort. With the addition of Realstar Builders, we’re creating homes that are built to last. Schedule a Discovery Visit today and experience Hilton Head Lakes for yourself.